Saturday, April 30, 2011

Inspiration Writing

Recently I began following author Nicholas Sparks on Twitter (@SparksNicholas). He tweets a lot about his progress on writing his next novel, scheduled for release in the fall and called The Best of Me. I was late getting into Nicholas Spark’s writings and have only read two of his stories (Dear John and The Last Song), but I am absolutely hooked. I also realized that I have a similar writing style, in that I love writing fiction novels that have some kind of tragedy in them.  I’ve had a manuscript written in my notebook for about a year now. I had started writing this story even before I first picked up Dear John and even though mine is not a love story, I immediately realized that I do have a similar writing style to Nicholas Sparks. I firmly believe though that he is better with words. I sometimes have to think for hours and re-write a quote many times before I feel that it is perfect. Even then, it’s not nearly as a good as something like, “It’s like the wind – I can’t see it, but I can feel it” from A Walk To Remember.

Since following Nicholas Sparks, not only do I want to read the rest of his books now, but I am also more inspired and ready than ever to get back to work on my own manuscript and take the steps necessary to get a publisher. I want nothing more than to be a published author.

It’s funny when I think about it now. I was so late in discovering the amazing stories written by Nicholas Sparks because I was more interested in reading about military history and war stories. I am still passionate about the military, but reading that first Nicholas Sparks book opened me up to a new release. His books are easy to read, which makes it very easy to lose yourself in the world of the characters.  I especially found that with Dear John because of my own military experience, but it was the same thing The Last Song. I look forward to getting lost in the next Nicholas Sparks book I read, whichever one I decide on when I can finally catch up on all of my reading and get myself a new book.

No comments:

Post a Comment