Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Proud Accomplishments, Strong Support

Last night I got inducted into RIT’s chapter of Lambda Pi Eta, which is the honor society for the National Communication Association. It is another proud moment in my life that I will cherish. I was a member of the National Honor Society during high school, but to me this is a step higher because it is the National Honor Society for my studies, and I am one of 23 out of about 200 in my particular college on campus. I’m very proud to be a part of those numbers and to be a member of Lambda Pi Eta, but what makes these moments in my life even more special are the people that I get to share it with.

Usually my mom is always there to experience my accomplishments with me, but since she is now living in Colorado it is not always possible for her to be there in person. However, I know she is proud of me and wishing she could be here. However, my cousin John was able to be there at my side as I got inducted. John has always been more like the big brother I never had, so having him there meant just as much as when my mother is there.



The other people that I got to share the moment with were my professors. Most of the professors that I have taken classes with so far at RIT were there as well (most of them being from the College of Liberal Arts). Dr. Keith Jenkins, Public Speaking; Dr. Ki-Young Lee, Media Planning; Professor Mike Johansson, Copywriting and Visualization, PR Writing; and of course I can’t forget Dr. Neil Hair from Internet Marketing. Dr. Hair was also the keynote speaker of the night, and as usual he spoke about personal branding and social media. Even though I have had heard his speech numerous times, it is always a nice reminder to hear him talk about how we should market ourselves online and how it can either benefit or hurt us in the future. His five question approach is very helpful in any situation:

1.       Where am I now?
2.       Where do I want to be?
3.       How do I get there?
4.       Which way is best?
5.       How do I ensure safe arrival?

Since taking Dr. Hair’s class, I have been more careful about my Facebook posts and how I market myself on Twitter, ensuring that my LinkedIn profile is updated, and keeping track of my personal brand online. I know I still have a lot to learn, but I also know that I always have my RIT network to fall back on. I am blessed to have wonderful professors who are willing to give me the time of day and help me out anyway they can, and not necessarily just with class work either.

Yes, I feel like I have accomplished a lot in my short 21 years here on Earth and yes, I am very proud of everything I have accomplished. However, I know that I wouldn’t have been able to accomplish any of it without the strong support of those around me. My family, friends, work colleagues, and professors have all helped me tremendously. I look forward to seeing what the future has in store for not just myself, but for everyone I have come into contact with.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tracy!

    Congrats on the induction! That is great! So glad your cousin was able to join you for the ceremony too. Very cool!

    Dr. Rus

    ReplyDelete