Sunday, April 3, 2011

Watching General Sarge Grow Through Social Media


Everyone is talking about how great social media is these days. I agree that social media is something exciting and has definitely produced some newsworthy stories. As I continue to learn the tricks and trades of social media by keeping up with the newest trends, I find myself meeting more people than I ever could have without the Internet and social networking. Networking has always been very important to a person’s success, but social networking online is quickly becoming necessary when it comes to job searching and getting your name known within your area of expertise.

I have an amazing example of what social networking can do for one person, or rather a family. Dr. Rus Jeffrey (@DrRus) has been active on Twitter for some time, but after he sent his youngest son off to Army Basic Training, Twitter became something much more than a place to get news updates and have conversations.

For a bit of background information, Ben, Dr. Rus’ youngest, has wanted to join the Army since he was a kid, and when he was 10 he got a trip to Build-A-Bear and built his own Army bear that he named Sarge. Sarge became a very well-loved bear, and last Christmas just before Ben was to ship to Basic Training, Sarge got a new uniform and a promotion to General! Since Ben has been at Basic, General Sarge has been kept busy as well with Dr. Rus taking pictures and blogging everyday about General Sarge's adventures. The blog can be read here. General Sarge has done some cool stuff!


General Sarge waiting for his human owner's return from Basic Training.

It was around this time that I really started paying attention to the post, especially when Dr. Rus mentioned something about his middle son, Ryan, being a Reservist assigned to the Webster Reserve Center. That's also where I go to drill, although we are assigned to different units within the same building.

I began following the blogs everyday, and that also got me thinking about how I might get involved with my own military bear. My mom gave me a bear the Christmas after I first signed my contract with an Army uniform (not from Build-A-Bear, but similar). My bear's name is Buddy, and I tweeted a picture to @DrRus saying something along the lines of "Buddy wants to meet General Sarge". We started talking back and forth through Twitter and a few days later, we met at Eastview Mall in Victor, NY for a couple shots and a new blog post for @GeneralSarge.

Buddy and me meeting General Sarge for this first time!

Dr. Rus and his wife Sandra are currently very busy trying to launch their Families First Campaign that started because of General Sarge. The non-profit is being set up for military families to help offset the costs of travelling to see a soldier's graduation from Basic Combat Training. It is a very important first step in every soldier's career to graduate from Basic, but travel for families can be very expensive, especially in today's economy. There are so many programs for military and their families out there, but none to help a family travel just to see their soldier's graduation. Families First is trying to launch itself to be there for families in need. I am very proud to have gotten to know Dr. Rus and Sandra and to play just a small part in the growth of General Sarge and the launching of the Families First Campaign. It has been exciting to watch General Sarge grow on Twitter and Facebook, and I know that there is much more planned in the future. I can't wait to see where else General Sarge will be taking Dr. Rus, Sandra, and their sons!

Buddy is very proud to be a part of this as well!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tracy;

    This is a great post and you are right! Social Media is an amazing avenue to network with great people. At first it can be a little overwhelming. But, as you learn some of the cool tricks, it is a great way of meeting people and also letting others know about incredible programs.

    Thanks for the kudos and thanks for helping us as we work to move forward with the "Families First Campaign".

    Dr. Rus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Tracy,

    Dr Rus and General Sarge are doing a brilliant job with the blog and they are certainly getting the word out for "Families First Campaign", I know @SlappyBear is proud to be part of the scene as well ;)

    ReplyDelete