Monday, October 17, 2011

Remembering Dan Wheldon

I was planning on posting my next post about SMACSRIT today, but my heart is heavy with yesterday's loss of IndyCar racer Dan Wheldon.



Even though I am not a big fan of the IndyCar racing series, I still enjoy watching the Indy cars race when I can. Yesterday was the first time I had turned on the IndyCar race all season other than part of the Indy 500 in May. I turned it on at lap 12, right after the worst looking wreck I have ever seen in any form of racing. A total of 15 cars were involved, with four drivers injured. The race was red flagged for close to two hours as drivers, crews, and fans waited for clean up and to hear any news about fellow driver and friend Dan Wheldon. Dan had been airlifted to a local hospital in the Las Vegas area and three other drivers were taken by ground for further evaluation. One driver was released and two were kept overnight, but they are alive and okay. However, Dan Wheldon was not so lucky.

At the age of 33, Dan leaves behind his wife, Susie, and two young sons. My heart aches as I think about Sebastian, age 2, and Oliver, just a baby born in March 2011 growing up without knowing their daddy. My heart also aches for Susie, losing not only her husband, but her best friend and life partner. Nothing will ever be able to replace Dan Wheldon in their lives. My prayers today are for his young family and friends, as well as for the drivers in the IndyCar series. I will also say a quick prayer for drivers in ALL forms a racing, as yesterday proved that their is a brother/sisterhood between any and all racers.

I will leave this post with my video of the 5 lap tribute that the remaining 19 cars that weren't wrecked did in honor of their friend Dan Wheldon.



God bless Dan Wheldon, his family, and all those involved in the racing community. Forever in our hearts.

1 comment: